www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Matthew Wireman. Make your own badge here.

Monday, September 19

He Delights in the Things of God {Entry 3}

Like a child takes great joy when his father lifts him high in the air and giggles with delight.
Like a woman who is carried away by the romantic advances of her courtier.
Like a dog who follows his master wherever he goes wagging his tail incessantly.

So is the man who has been saved by grace alone through faith alone. This is the man who knows that whenever God acts, he acts on his behalf - to turn every circumstance for his good.

He delights in the fact that he has a father who disciplines him. See a father who sits by idly as his child does as he pleases and I will show you a man who despises his children.

He enjoys the laws of God. The signs of the rebellious manifest themselves in their utter disregard and contempt for authority and rules. Unruliness is the symptom of unbridled sin. The unruly man, more than likely was not taught to be an obedient child. And so he has grown up to despise everyone but himself. Everyone serves to meet his end - himself.

Look in a concordance for the Bible for the word “delight” and you will find a slew of passages - 71 to be exact. In fact, Psalm 119 is written from a heart overflowing with joy because he has laws to obey. Have you ever thought about this? When you are told not to do something (or to do something) are you thrilled with joy to obey?

• I find my delight in your commandments, which I love (Psalm 119.47).
• Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts (Jeremiah 15.16)
• For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being (Rom. 7.22).

The Christian will be marked by an insatiable desire to fill his mind with the things of God. Instead of trivial past-times he will spend his time reading God’s Word. Instead of wasting time, he will meditate on the beauty of God’s handiwork (Psalm 111.12). Everything will seem like dung compared with knowing Jesus (Philippians 3.8).

Comments on "He Delights in the Things of God {Entry 3}"

 

Blogger vandorsten said ... (Mon Sep 19, 03:43:00 PM) : 

Great post. I dig this series. Also diggin' the new template.

 

Blogger Matthew Wireman said ... (Mon Sep 19, 04:13:00 PM) : 

Thanks, brother. I think it's much easier to read and better on the eyes.

As for the series, I thought it would be helpful to discuss what a Christian looks like and acts like. In my post re: so many people saying they are Christians (or the latest news that Mr. Famous has become one) I though it beneficial to really probe the quesiton as to who is a Christian. It more than what it in a name.

 

Blogger vandorsten said ... (Tue Sep 20, 03:37:00 PM) : 

So true. Keep up the good work, brother.

 

post a comment
Template By: Thur Broeders