www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Matthew Wireman. Make your own badge here.

Wednesday, February 22

Fights...

I am continually amazed at the gall and vicious words that people type in the blogosphere! I am referring to Dr. Witherington’s post and comments on the ESV. I skimmed and read some of the comments and was pretty disappointed by the way people disagreed with Dr. Witherington.

I believe the post was out of order since it had not been rightly researched and motives of the ESV translation team were called into question. Simply because a brother makes a brash statement doesn’t mean that other brothers are obliged to respond in kind. Yes correction needs to be done, but it needs to be done in a spirit of gentleness (Gal 6.1).

The ESV Blog responded very magnanimously, of which I am proud. I wish Christians would respond in the same kind of informed and caring way.

I am especially encouraged by Dr. Witherington’s humility and apology at the end of his Comments section. It takes humility and a desire to follow Christ to not keep arguing but to admit you were wrong.

I am currently in a care group with Dr. Stuart Scott and I posed the question as to how the exchange of ideas can be done without exchanging blows. I will write on this once we discuss it. How do we disagree and incubate relationships? That is something I hope we can figure out together...

Comments on "Fights..."

 

Blogger R. Mansfield said ... (Wed Feb 22, 04:48:00 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger R. Mansfield said ... (Wed Feb 22, 04:48:00 PM) : 

Of all things, we've come to disagreements over translations of the Bible. It's rather disheartening.

 

Blogger iconoclasm said ... (Wed Feb 22, 09:07:00 PM) : 

my translation can beat up your translation

 

Blogger R. Mansfield said ... (Sat Feb 25, 11:56:00 AM) : 

Interesting development. I just noticed that Dr. Witherington has pulled the entire original blog on the ESV.

 

post a comment
Template By: Thur Broeders