www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Matthew Wireman. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, July 13

Why I Love My Church...[3]


With all the talk of being “missional,” the elders at my church are discussing and critiquing this phenomenon of jargon. It has been helpful and I am looking forward to more posts. I was particularly challenged by Kaiser Keisling’s post this morning. Here’s an excerpt:


This leads to one of my questions about the “missional” folks. The pursuit for the indigenous culture sounds like a quest to identify some native, unique, previously unknown culture (like the noble savage) that if we can study and imitate, then we can make ready for conversion. Well, this could be good at many levels, but it can be bad at many levels. What I see of many “missional” folks is that they have identified the “indigenous” culture of their 20-30 something contemporaries and adopted it. Is indigenous culture defined by a geographical boundary or really the same old homogeneous-unit principle? From my vantage point, the missional quest for an indigenous culture is really grandpa’s homogeneous-unit principle with more facial hair and more expensive coffee. (Disclaimer: I think the more facial hair and good coffee one can muster the better.)

I haven’t given this lots of thought, but my intuition has always been be well aware of the culture and to do as little as possible to offend the culture, but within the church to develop a culture that is as transcultural as possible through simplicity, timelessness, and thoughtfulness thereby allowing the beauty, truth and power of the gospel to be displayed in all its slendor. In short, it is a Tiffanys approach that I am after I guess. I think in the end that a gift from Tiffanys would be welcome in any culture — how about Linden, Texas?
Thoughts?

Comments on "Why I Love My Church...[3]"

 

Blogger David said ... (Thu Jul 13, 02:10:00 PM) : 

I like Keisling's intution on the matter. Focus on removing offenses. However, things get hazy for me when he mentions, accurately, the reality that every church develops a culture of its own. Many churches have developed a culture. They think it's transcultural, but only because it's so vastly different than their current culture. For instance, Sunday morning often looks like a board meeting, only there's stodgy music and stained glass.
And while we're here in "no one's perfect" land, perhaps we should drop back and ask the punter's question? Was Jesus transcultural, or was He incarnational? To what degree is there overlap between the two notions, or to what degree are they entirely incongruous? Can we attempt to be transcultural and yet follow the example of Jesus? This lingering question is why I am giving ear to the fuzzy missional folk who reek of coffee.

 

Blogger Sean said ... (Thu Jul 13, 07:16:00 PM) : 

i dont understand.

this is beside the point but... the guy in the picture looks like he has antlers.

he should find another picture. Unless, of course, he's trying to be funny.

 

Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said ... (Sat Jul 15, 07:44:00 AM) : 

We love your church too!! (You can pass this along to Aaron Menikof).

-Bert and Nikki Daniel

 

post a comment
Template By: Thur Broeders